Monday, September 27, 2010

The "zoo safari" dress - progress in pics

Progress has been made on both the quilt and the "zoo safari" dress!

This time, instead of sewing only when I have a chunk of time to do so, I've sewn in little snippets at a time. It seems to help and I don't feel like I'm so behind on projects. Cutting out has to be done when the little monkey is not around, though, as she's too curious about what I do and loves nothing better than to snatch fabric away from me ("for my babies, mammy," she says).

Speaking of the little darling monkey, she has informed me that that by her birthday (at the end of next month, she turns 3), mammy has to teach her how to sew. LOL! Funny little girl.

Anyway, the dress is almost done. I just need to sew on a pocket and do the hem. Here is the progress of the dress in pictures:

It has been a while since I sewed a placket, but the Oliver + S instructions were so detailed, putting in the placket was actually quite simple. LOVE the groovy zebra print. LOL!

Close-up of the placket. Please ignore the blue fabric marker markings. Those are the locations of the buttonholes ... which reminds me that I need to hunt down some red buttons for this dress.

On goes the collar. The top is the animal print and the undercollar is the zebra print. Now I'm wondering if I should've done the top in the zebra print. Hmmmm maybe next time.


And on go the sleeves! The sleeves have funky zebra stripe tabs too :-)) The pocket is done too -- it just needs to be sewn on. Then, I'll add a strip of zebra print fabric to the bottom of the skirt, hem it and then ... ta-da!

The dress fits the little monkey quite nicely now, but I should've gone up a size as I think she'll get just one wearing out of it, maybe two, before it becomes too snug. Oh well!

Ah, about that colourful quilt, the top is all sewn together and looks quite happy, if I may say so myself. I just need to actually quilt it and add a binding and it will be 100% completed. It was meant for a friend's daughter. Guess who has declared it to be hers?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg! the fabric is really cute! :)

And where did you get the pattern from? I'm actually a beginner in sewing and would like to know where people buy the patterns usually! hehe.

Are you still taking sewing lessons at Simei? I heard that they are closed and opening a new shop at Eunos. :)

Simone said...

Hi Mirs19! Tell me about the fabric -- i just fell in love with it when I saw it at Quilts & Calicoes (Tanglin Mall) and HAD to have some. Hahahahhaha!

I bought the Oliver + S pattern directly from the Oliver + S website (http://www.oliverands.com/). They are a bit pricey, so I like to wait till they have a sale :-)))

I also buy patterns at Spotlight. But I wait till they have a sale also. Now that I am learning how to draft, though, I think I will be buying much fewer patterns.

Also, still on the topic of patterns, I buy Burda magazine (in English) and have a subscription to La Mia Boutique (in Italian). These magazines have pattern sheets which you trace out in your size and then sew up, following the instructions. The instructions are usually veeeerrrry basic, though, so it's better to have a little bit of experience before tackling them.

And yes, I am still taking lessons at Simei. In fact, I just called Kak Ati to make an appointment for my next lesson. She will be open there till the end of October. Then in November, she will move to Eunos -- actually, near the Malay Village.

Anonymous said...

Ohh now I know where I can get the patterns! Yeap, I know they are moving to Eunos! I took sewing classes at Sembawang outlet few months ago! :) & my teacher told me that she will be moving to Eunos together with the owner at Simei!

Heheh.

Thanks for the info about the patterns! (:

Nueyer said...

Wow!!! That is one cute dress!!! I'm totally green with envy that you can sew clothes..... wish I could too. All I do are some simple pouches and little stuffed owls.....