Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Well hullo, new additions to the stash!

My name is Simone and I'm a fabricaholic. There, I've said it out "loud". Hahahaha! No matter how hard I try (and to be really honest, I don't try really hard at all), I can't resist lovely fabric.

Take, for example, Exhibit A ..... a package which arrived to fuel my addiction:

Seems innocent enough. It wasn't even that big, for goodness sake. But inside, oh my, were these BEAUTIES. Aren't they simply delicious?!

While trawling the web one day, I stumbled upon the site of an indie designer from Australia (Melbourne, to be precise) and just fell in love with her self-designed, screen-printed (with environmentally-friendly ink no less) fabric.

And before you can say "stash overload!" the virtual cart was filled.

Caitlin of Pippijoe (http://www.pippijoe.bigcartel.com/) prints her designs on hemp or hemp/organic cotton mix and they are diiiivvvviiiiiinnneeeee. Her prints are all limited editions, so you won't find them everywhere, which is a big plus for me.

You can buy Pippijoe fabric by the metre (or smaller) and even in sample packs. Shipping to Singapore is really quick -- it takes less than a week -- and Caitlin is super-responsive. When I placed my order, she was in the midst of preparing for a big craft show. And yet, she took the time to very patiently and graciously answer my million questions, found prints that were almost out of stock and got everything shipped in a couple of days.

Expect to pay more than what you'd shell out for fabric from Spotlight -- after all, these are designer prints and they are printed by hand using environmentally friendly inks on organic fabric. I think they are worth it! A little also goes a long way -- I'm thinking of mixing these with some plain linen or even solid, heavier cotton. We'll see.

Now if only Caitlin sold time in a bottle for sewing. Hahahahahha! I really need to reduce the stash Everest. Maybe if I sewed more instead of just petting all my fabric :-)

No comments: