Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pretty little things

Isn't this pretty:
It's a chiffon rosette attached to some tulle backing and these things are sold by the yard. I paid SGD$4 for half a yard (minimum cut) and got four large black/cream polkadot rosettes.

You just hand-sew the rosette to an article of clothing (or bag or whatever) of your choice, trim away the tulle ... and voila, you're done!

The rosettes and other pretties can be found at Brighton Accessories House in Chinatown. Brighton started out as one store about maybe a year or so ago and has since grown into two units diagonally across from each other.


Brighton is the place to go for trimming by the yard, lace, ribbon, buttons, needles, wooden yardsticks (SGD$5), zippers (including fancy, decorative exposed zippers), pins, covered button kits (SGD$6.50), tracing paper and other doo-dads. Prices are pretty reasonable although I do think they've gone up a little since the store opened last year.

It's a place you can easily go nuts in, so if you're anything like me, it's best to step in with a PLAN or you'll end up with a bunch of lovelies that you have no idea what to do with. Hahahahah!

At my last visit recently, I was extremely restrained and bought half a yard of these pretties below (SGD$7/yd) and got six rosettes which I'm going to use to dress up a plain tee for my darling little monkey. I don't think I need so many for her, and so will probably do a mommy-daughter matching tee thing. The colours are so sweet, aren't they?


Good thing is, Brighton is open every day. But if you're planning on shopping at the other stores too, don't bother visiting till closer to lunch time as most stores in the complex start to open at about 11.30am only.

And if you're wondering where Blk 32 New Market Road is, it's the building between OG and People's Park Complex. There is a hawker centre on the ground floor and, confusingly, is also called "People's Park". Why are there so many buildings in Chinatown, all in close proximity to each other, with "People's Park" in their names???

Happy shopping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great taste! Those are indeed pretty! I want some too...kekeke. I'm planning a trip to people's park next Tues, yay!

Simone said...

:-) I go nuts at Brighton, so I try to avoid going in ... LOL! Have a wonderful time shopping next Tue!!