Friday, August 6, 2010

Instant gratification project

So here it is at last, the little monkey's fairy skirt.

Every time we pass any area with lots of trees (and there are MANY such areas in Singapore), she tells me about the fairies in the forest and how when she was a baby, she saw fairies in the bathroom. Hahahhahaha! What an imagination.

But you know, when I was a little girl, I too thought I saw fairies and to this day can recall with great clarity the little people I saw one night in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. They were a colourful and noisy bunch.Ah, but I digress. This skirt was an instant gratification project which took just a few hours to complete. I didn't follow a pattern but just went with the flow. Sewing for children is so easy -- just cut up a few rectangles, gather, add lace, add elastic ... voila, you're done!

When it was first completed, the monkey feeling a bit of a grouch and said she didn't like the skirt. But when I asked her if she would like the skirt "tomorrow", she said "yes". Thankfully, she really did like the skirt the next day!

The fairy fabric is by Michael Miller, bought from Quilts & Calicoes at Tanglin Mall. Lace is from Spotlight.Now that the work crisis is over (knock on wood), I hope to get back into the sewing groove again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet skirt, love the addition of lace! Lucky princess!

Anonymous said...

Ah, what a sweet skirt for a sweet girl! Going with the flow has worked out really prettily.

Simone said...

Thanks so much :-))