Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The opposite of instant gratification

I've always been curious about quilting and as mentioned a few posts ago, decided to take some lessons to find out more. And boy do I have a new-found respect for people who quilt! These works of art take TIME and precision.

Here is where I'm at for the little monkey's fairy quilt:All the pieces have been sewn together (you can't really see the different pieces in the pic above as that shows mainly the central panel. I'm such an awesome photographer ... NOT! Hahahha!). The batting and backing are in place as well and what you see is everything basted together/

Here's a pic of the "quilt sandwich". I don't know what the actual name is, but it reminds me of a sandwich, with all the layers: top, batting, backing:
Here you can see the fabric I chose for the backing (along with the basting stitches). It's sooooo pink. It's a good thing the monkey loves pink, because there is a ton of pink in this quilt :-)
At the next lesson, I'm going to learn to actually quilt the quilt, which is a little like embroidery, I suppose, especially since I'll be doing hand-quilting and not machine quilting. You can quilt patterns, geometric shapes or outline details in the quilt.

Can't wait to complete this project! The monkey can't keep her grubby hands off it. Hahahahahaha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is called a quilt sandwich:) Great job, I don't think I have the patience required for quilting.

Simone said...

Ah yes, it is, officially, a quilt sandwich :-))))

And you are so right about the patience bit. For my next quilting project, I'm going to do some SIMPLE machine quilting. Hahahahahhaa!