Monday, August 16, 2010

One stitch at a time (or how to cultivate patience) LOL!

I bow down low to the patience and skill of quilters. Man, this hand-quilting thing takes some SKILL and lots of patience as well. I've poked my finger countless times, squinted like a demented thing ... and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Yes, my darling little monkey, mommy will persevere just for you ... just promise me you'll use your fairy quilt till it's tattered and torn or till you're at least 65, whichever comes first. Hahahhahahahhahahhaha!

The next time I decide to make a quilt (I have already bought a kit for the in-laws for Christmas ... I know, I'm insane), I'm going to MACHINE quilt the thing! :-)))

In other non-quilting-but-still-about-sewing news, inspired by Jali of Equator Collection, I've decided to learn how to draft simple patterns! I'm taking this Friday off work to spend a day at the Stitch & Craft Corner at Eastpoint Mall.

Ati, who runs the shop, is the person I bought my machine from (she's a DARLING). She also runs crafting, home-dec sewing and dressmaking (western & Malay) classes. Fun times lie ahead!

If you're in the eastern part of Singapore and want to check out Ati's classes or shop, here are the details:

Stitch & Craft Corner
3 Simei Street 6, #06-29 Eastpoint Mall
Singapore 528833
Tel: 6787 9918

Courses
* Note:
- material and accessories not included in class fee;
- each class is 2 hrs long;
- You don't need to bring your sewing machine or serger -- Ati has a bunch of them in the shop

Dressmaking & Tailoring
Elementary dressmaking (12 lessons x 2hrs each) - $160 for 4 lessons
Intermediate dressmaking - $200 for 4 lessons
Advanced dressmaking - $400 for 4 lessons
Ladies pants only (no pockets) - $200 for 4 lessons
Men's tailoring - $400 for 4 lessons

Traditional attire
Men's Baju Kurung (12 lessons) - $200 for 4 lessons
Baju Kurung Pesak Biasa (8-10 lessons) - $120 for 4 lessons
Baju Kurung Pesak Pahang (8 lessons) - $160 for 4 lessons
Jilbab (prayer robe) - $50 one lesson

Home dec & crafts
Elementary curtain (5 basic patterns in 8 lessons) - $150 for 4 lessons
Hobbycraft/Patchwork/Quilting - $120 for 4 lessons
Smocking Cushion & Bag - $120 for 4 lessons
Beading or Knitting or Crochet - $100 for 4 lessons

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is such a precious thing you are doing for your precious one and I think she will grow up appreciating every bit of love and effort that is going into the quilt.

Knowing how to draft is a plus Simone and congratulations on taking the step. I don't draft much these days and I started drafting patterns even before I knew paper patterns existed. It was utter boredom at first with basic drafts of bodice, collars, sleeves before I even got to make anything. But knowing the mechanics has always been helpful whether I am altering or merging paper patterns or just making up something basic from scratch. It's an amazing feeling to see fabric come to life that way, as I imagine it. Enjoy your class and learn lots!

Simone said...

Awwww, thank you, Jali!

And thanks for being the inspiration behind wanting to learn how to draft. You're right -- it's an amazing feeling to see how measurements (and formulae) translate into lines which then become actual garments. I'm learning a lot and having quite a bit of fun at the same time.