Monday, July 19, 2010

And it didn't stop there

Nope. Golden Dragon was just the start. The fabric debauchery continued across the road at this place -
Seems innocent enough, right? But look here ... cute Japanese prints:.... adorable Hello Kitty (original Sanrio) prints which my little monkey ADORES:
And then there are these Kokka Russian Doll prints:
On the extreme right, you'll see a grey dotty fabric -- that's Japanese linen and I almost bought some. However, I resisted! And felt pretty proud of myself until these decided to come home with me ....
"She's a lost cause," I hear you say :-) LOL! Jo, who runs the store (and whose family also has a couple of other fabric stores at the same complex), is really sweet, friendly and not pushy. I like her range and think that her prices are pretty decent, especially for the quality you get.

At Jo's shop you know that when she tells you something is Japanese cotton, that it really is from Japan. And if you're looking at the "Japanese Liberty" inside the store, she'll tell you about the other similar ones outside which are on sale (the inside ones are not on sale).

Look out for the cuts of fabric at the back of the store -- ie. the ones not in bolts. These are usually shorter cuts of about 2 - 3 metres at the most (but most are usually about 1 metre) and they're all Japanese, if I'm not mistaken. You'll find linen/cotton blends and some 100% cottons as well.

The elephants are from those tempting piles at the back. And sorry, I think I took them all except maybe one in a blue colourway. But they may still have the cute hippos!

So with Jo being so nice and her fabric being so yummy .... HOW could I resist? Hahahahhahahah!

Malin Textile
Address: Block 32 new market road #02-1122
Tel: 6535 4660

4 comments:

designer said...

Ohh the sight of the pretty fabrics... *drool*

Simone said...

LOL! I love looking at all the pretty fabric too. And sometimes, they are really hard to resist, which then gets me into trouble. hahahhaha!

Hazel said...

Hi!

May I know how much are the fabrics per metre at this store? (:

Simone said...

Hi Hazel! Sorry, I don't know why comments are moderated -- I need to check. They should just be posted :)

As for your question, the fabric at this shop costs anything from SGD$6 a metre and up. The Japanese fabrics cottons are usually a little more expensive, and the Kokka cotton/linen, for example, can be a little over SGD$20 a metre. But the quality is SUPERB. The other Japanese cotton is about SGD$8-$12 a metre if i recall correctly.

That said, I really like the range and quality at Malin textiles and find their prices to be reasonable, especially when you check online or even Golden Dragon.

Hope this helps!