Sunday, July 11, 2010

I should do this more often

It's done! Well, almost ... just need to hem it ... but you get the idea ;-) Nobody is around to take a pic of me in it right now, so the action shots will have to wait just a while.

Apart from having to fight with the slippery fabric, this top (Burda magazine 2/2009 #108) came together rather quickly and easily, thank goodness. It fits well enough and I'm rather pleased that after so long, I've finally sewn something for myself again.

Construction notes
Pattern - Burda magazine 2/2009 #108
Fabric - Lovely Poly/Lycra knit from NicoleXavier
  • I cut a 40 at the neck, blended it out to 42 at the arms and waist and then back to 40 at the hips
  • Sleeve cap was lowered by about 3/4 " - i just eyeballed it and cut a wedge off the top
  • I ignored the Burda instructions cos this is a fairly easy top and I didn't like how they had you insert the sleeves in the round. Doesn't make sense for a knit! So here is how I did it:
    - stabilise shoulder and neck with strips of knit interfacing
    - sew shoulder seams
    - sew neck (i just turned it down and sewed; didn't use a twin needed or coverstitch
    - sew sleeves into armholes
    - sew up side seams, from ends of sleeves to bottom of top
    - hem sleeves (i used a 3-step zigzag cos I was too lazy to set up the serger for a coverhem)
    - hem bottom
  • Try on the top and resolve to get less "fluffy". LOL!
I'm definitely going to make this again, but in a more stable knit the next time(s). Working with slippery fabric made me run through (in my head) my inventory of swear words in multiple languages. Hahahhaha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely top. I was looking forward to the finished top ever since I saw the gorgeous fabric picture and the top has all the class and classic that the fabric promised. Two thumbs of to you for successfully conquering the difficult fabric. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Looks fabulous! Congrats on finishing the top and in a poly/ lycra knit too! Can't wait to see it on you soon:) So, you game for macaron next week?

Simone said...

Thanks so much, Jali and sewconvert! I hope you won't be disappointed when you see the pics of me in it. hahahahahahaha! When I put it on, I thought ... hmmmm... better go to the gym. LOL!

And yes, sewconvert, I'm game for macaron although I do think that it will take me signifantly longer than you to complete it. LOL!