Monday, July 5, 2010

At laaaaaaast

This Etta James song (click here to see a video) keeps playing in my head as I write up this post :-) And you know why -- some sewing-related activity actually took place this past weekend!

I know, it's about time, right?! LOL! It's just baby steps, but at last I'm sewing something for myself.

First up is this Pattern Review #5 Best Patterns of 2009, Burda Magazine 02-2009-108 "Knit Top with Bateau Neckline".I've read the reviews and know that I have to reduce the sleep cap ease and possibly cut a smaller size at the neck. So that's what I did, and hope that it works.

Here is the fabric I'm using:
It's a groovy black-and-white knit -- I think it's poly/lycra -- and it is soooooo slippery. I'm a bit of a fabric snob (ok, I'm the snobbiest fabric snob there is) and don't usually buy anything with polyester in it. But this print (from NicoleXavier) was too cute to pass up.

It was a real pain cutting the fabric though, as it wanted to slip and slide and run away from me. Why didn't I choose a nice stable knit?! Oh well ... this had better look darn good when it's all completed

Now I just need some sewing machine time to sew it up, and that means it probably won't get done till Saturday because I can't sew when my darling little monkey is around as she loves to "help".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Love love love the fabric! Can't wait to see your blouse!!!

Anonymous said...

This is just going to look great made up!

designer said...

Nice fabric! Btw you happen to have any tips on cutting & sewing slippery fabric?

Simone said...

Thanks, everyone! Can't wait to sew up this top. Hope all goes well. hahahahahha!

Ina, for this fabric, what I did was to lay it out on a self-healing cutting mat (like the one you use with rotary cutters). The textured surface seemed to "grip" the fabric and helped to keep it from sliding around too much.

I also used a lot of very sharp pins to hold the pattern pieces to the fabric. I had to pin carefully so that the fabric would not slide and get off grain. Maybe next time I will use pattern weights (or tin cans!)

I've read that you can also lay the slippery fabric on some tissue (pattern tissue, not Kleenex) or tracing paper and then cut out the fabric and paper together.

As for sewing, when I tested on scraps of this fabric, I found that I needed to place some tissue underneath the fabric at the start of stitching. Then, I began by sewing the paper first. If I didn't do that, my machine wanted to just eat the fabric.

Hope this helps!

Simone said...

OK, this is strange. I thought I had already posted a reply ... but it seems to have disappeared? I'm going to wait to see if it comes back.

designer said...

Wow, thanks for the great tips Simone!